Police have officially named the woman murdered at a house on Pear Tree Crescent, Normanton, Derby, over the weekend as 37-year-old Sobhia Tabasim Khan.


Officers were called to a house in Pear Tree Crescent, Derby, at around 9.50pm following calls about a ‘domestic related incident’ on Saturday night were they discovered the body of a woman.

Police arrested her husband Atual Mustafa, 35, in connection with her murder.

Mustafa was previously charged with raping, burning and torturing another woman in 2009.

He will now appear at court in Nottingham on Wednesday.

Her family have now released a picture of her.

Friends of the victim have said just recently married to Atual Mustafa and was unaware of his previous rape conviction before moving in with him just over a month ago.

A female neighbour in Pear Tree Crescent said she was concerned for the woman. The neighbour, who did not want to be named, said: “Everything was very private. A bit too much I think.

“The blinds were never open. They were always closed. The doors were always closed. They were never seen in the garden, even on the hottest of days. I just thought, ‘how does this person live?'”

Atual Mustafa previously raped and assaulted a woman and set her on fire in a horrific four-day torture ordeal.

It only ended when she managed to escape her attacker, Ataul Mustfa.

At the trial in Derby Crown Court in 2009, Judge John Burgess said: “This, with no exaggeration, was one of the most disturbing cases.

“Over a four-day period this defendant tortured this woman and raped her.

“Goodness knows what effect it has had on her. Her physical scars may be healing but I suspect her mental scars will never heal.”

Mustafa was convicted in trial by a jury of three charges of rape. He had previously pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

He was sentenced to a hospital order, with the Judge adding: “He will not be released until everyone is satisfied it is safe to do so. He will then be subject to review and careful supervision.”

Her family have now released a picture of her.

Ataul Mustafa, 35, of the same address, has been charged with her murder and will appear at Nottingham Crown Court tomorrow.