Tanveer Ahmed, 32, today pleaded guilty to the killing of a shopkeeper from Glasgow because he claimed to be a prophet.

Tanveer Ahmed rleft and Asad Shah right

Mr Shah was stabbed on March 24 this year and later died from his injuries.

The court heard that Mr Ahmed had driven to Glasgow from Bradford to discuss religious matters with Mr Shah.

Evidence gathered by the police showed Mr Shah uploaded videos onto his Facebook claiming to be a prophet.

Iain McSporran told the court: ‘It so offended his feelings and faith that he had to kill him.’

After his arrest, Mr Ahmed shocked police by releasing a statement admitting the murder by saying: ‘Asad Shah disrespected the messenger of Islam the Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him. Mr Shah claimed to be a prophet.

The statement read out by his solicitor said: ‘If I had not done this others would and there would have been more killing and violence in the world.

‘When 1400 years ago the Prophet of Islam Muhammad peace be upon him has clearly said that “I am the final messenger of Allah there is no more prophets or messengers from God Allah after me.

‘I wish to make it clear that the incident was nothing at all to do with Christianity or any other religious beliefs even although I am a follower of the Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him I also love and respect Jesus Christ.’

The chain of events leading to the murder were started after Mr Ahmed was shown a video by his friend that Mr Shah had posted claiming to be a prophet.

The following day he drove to Glasgow and recorded a phone message saying: ‘Listen to this guy, something needs to be done, it needs nipped in the bud,

He arrived at the shop around 9pm later that evening and a conversation was heard between the two were it is claimed Mr Ahmed failed to persuade Mr Shah on his point of view.

He then pulled out a knife and moved towards the counter were he started to stab Mr Shah to the head and body.

Mr Shah then tried to flee out of the shop but the attacker continued raining down blows.

Athar Shah, Asad Shah’s brother, then attacked Mr Ahmed with a street sign as another shop assistant managed to grab the knife.

Mr Ahmed then calmly walked away to a nearby bus shelter were he waited for the police to arrive.

Ahmed will return to court for sentencing on August 9.